More Good News for Optimists

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Blast from the past

Did you know musicians still make videos? Yeah, me neither! I was at my drummer's house for band practice today, and he showed me the K.T. Tunstall video for "Big Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" on Comcast OnDemand. It was virtually impossible to find - why are there video menus so convoluted? - but I was SERIOUSLY impressed. Actually, I was intimidated - why are WE doing this song when this artist is so freakin' talented? In the live version I watched, she records separate tracks live, and activates them with foot pedals while playing guitar and singing. She also plays tambourine by stomping on it, which further impresses me b/c I struggle with playing it in a conventional fashion. Yeah, yeah, it's just a tambourine - but I seriously have some coordination issues with it. Harder than it looks, folks. Well, harder if you're also trying to sing, anyway.

Back to videos, though - I was inspired to watch more of 'em this evening, and have found a few that really amused me. Kelly Clarkson's video for - well, some Kelly Clarkson song - features all these people singing along with her and getting caught in the act. Who can't identify? The Red Hot Chili Peppers video for "Dani California" spoofs other musical performance from various decades. Goth Flea made me laugh out loud. Out loud, people. In not so happy video news, I have never been less attracted to John Corbett. Remember how he started as "Chris in the Morning" on Northern Exposure and he was off-beat and dreamy? Then he was on Sex and the City and you were glad he was getting work but always thought he was too good for Carrie and he should've been with you instead? OH - and how he got his haircut for his second turn as Aidan on that show and you were thrilled? Well - his hair is now dangerously close to stringy. Almost of Michael Bolton proportions, but even HE finally cut it. So Corbett is apparently a country singer now, and he sounds exactly like himself when he sings. That's not really all that great. And the song is ridiculously sappy, but not as bad as the video which features lots of shots of him working ON A FARM. Oh, John. Oh no, John.

2 Comments:

  • Then he was the odd, flute-playing, arrogant, new agey guy in Serendipity. Again we say - John..oh John.... go back to Alaska.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Other K(M)C, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home