More Good News for Optimists

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The New Fierce

The Other KM may not have coined this concept, but she introduced me to it around the time of last year's American Idol - "Loud is the new good." I went to a TKB class (that would be Turbo Kickboxing at 24 HR Fitness for the uninitiated) after work and there was a substitute instructor, who apparently thinks "Fast is the new challenging." She told us at the beginning, "If you want it slower let me know, and if you want it faster... well, we can't because I have it as fast as it will go." I thought - crap. And sure enough - at one point, and I am not kidding, it sounded like one of the songs was by The Chipmunks. I am familiar enough with TKB choreography that I could keep up with the patterns, but there's not much room to work on form and I find that aggravating. That, and when you have a class full of people, some of who are NOT all that familiar with this type of class, KICKING??? It is just sort of dangerous. Because y'all, some of these folks need SERIOUS work on form. There are women who just sort of flail their puny little fists in general directions, and their knee strikes end with their pointy little knees up under their chin and their toes pointed daintily, and I think - damn. Lady, you would get your ass kicked if you ever had to defend yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home