More Good News for Optimists

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Black Hole Saturdays

For the past few months, Saturdays have been so low-key they're subsonic. I wake up late, watch DVDs, make phone calls, take naps (yes, plural), and usually complete one household chore. Today, looks like that might just be doing dishes. Not a particularly hefty task.

I guess part of the reason I feel so lazy is I see this as a day to catch up on my rapidly accumulating sleep debt. I have a hard time going to bed before midnight, but since I don't have to wake up until 7:30, I'm still getting a reasonable amount of sleep most weeknights.

I do have plans for tomorrow, which also allows me to be lazier than I might otherwise be. "Plans" involve other people - I don't seem to have them for myself. If I'm invited to do something at a certain time, or I plan to meet someone at a particular place, I feel there is a social goal for the day. Without these goals, I flounder. Not always a bad thing, but it seems to show I lack a certain amount of discipline. Could I devote time to explore new neighborhoods on my own? Sure. Could I finally deal with all the paper and crap that has accumulated on my desk and filing cabinet? Yeah. (But even writing about it makes me feel a little nauseous. I hate going through old papers. One more sign that I might be spectacularly unsuited for my current job.)

OK. Some small goals that will make me feel better about today. Clean the kitchen. Including the microwave. And fill the flour and sugar canisters, instead of keeping bags of flour and sugar that take up space. Get rid of at least 5 things in the kitchen I don't use - stuff left in the communal laundry room downstairs never stays longs, and it's much closer than Goodwill. Call landlord about getting new upgraded super secure front-door key. Walk SOMEWHERE. The grocery store counts. THEN, I might take myself to a movie.

Wow, that's a lot. Looks like I need another disco nap before I get started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home