More Good News for Optimists

Friday, June 02, 2006

Putting the harm in harmony

Found out yesterday our band can open for Johnny Nitro at The Saloon in NINE DAYS. Will the band be ready? Dunno. Am I ready? Heck yeah. I know I'll be more solid at our next performance, later in June, but I'm ready to get on stage and just start belting stuff out to start figuring out what works. Guess I'm just a "jump in the pool" girl as opposed to inching into the water. Gonna get wet anyway - may as well do it all at once and acclimate fast.

The other singer is making me a bit testy, b/c she doesn't have the harmonies down yet. Her default is to echo my part. This makes Kathy angry. Do not sing my part. I am singing my part. I do not need your help to sing my notes. In fact, your help is distracting. Sing YOUR notes. Sing them in tones that compliment what I am singing. Or get out of my song.

And this will seem obvious, but why is it the same people who need the most time to learn our entire set list are also the same ones who arrive latest at practice? Hmm. I honestly think everyone in our band is a capable musician. Everyone has done some work that has impressed me. I also realize this is a hobby. But I take it quite seriously, and get frustrated when others don't bring the same level of commitment and anxiety into the project. ANY project. Of course, this goes both ways, I guess. There are some things I don't take so seriously - like certain work-related tasks - and when others are more anxious than I am that annoys me, too.

Perhaps what we all seek from the people we want to make meaningful connections with is a shared anxiety level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home