More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, March 19, 2006

She FLIES through the air with the greatest of ease...

She just cannot get the bar under her knees...

I had class today. TRAPEZE class. My friend C.S. from work decided this would be her birthday activity this year, so she gathered a group of friends together for a lesson at Trapeze Arts. When I was a kid, I LOVED my jungle gym and always liked the little metal U-bar trapeze. But as a grownup - I found I couldn't get my damn legs up and around to get it under my knees. I did manage to do it on the second try on the stationary bar, but couldn't get it in the air. So I was instructed on using "hawk-style", which - was also not a sure bet. But I DID get it a couple of times.

The scariest part? Was the freakin' ladder. Climbing the little shaky ladder to get to the platform made me nervous. Then, when you're on the platform, reaching out for the bar is really hard because it was just out of reach. The instructor holds your safety lines so you won't just topple off the platform, and I kept asking, "You've got me, right? RIGHT?" Then, letting go and swinging through the air? Is just fun. Releasing the bar and tumbling into the net is ALSO FUN. But getting ONTO the bar, was still a bitch. I was worried I'd never pull it together, and would miss the catch and release part. My last time up, I had my best takeoff ever, and when the instructor on the ground said "legs up" - I got a toehold and clawed my way on! Yay! Then he yelled, "Look at your knees!" and I did, for one full swing. The next direction is "Let go of the bar", and I did, keeping my hands in a "W" so I could grab onto the catcher. My back was arched, my arms outstretched, and I was worried my catcher wasn't there because I couldn't see him - and then? There he was! (He looks like Hank Azaria, which was comforting in a strange way.) He grabbed my wrists, I released the bar from my knees, and WHOOPED! He smiled and said "Good job, Kathy!", and then "Have a seat" as he released me. Oh, it was fun. Everyone in our group made the catch, and I think we would all do it again. I want to do it again RIGHT NOW, so I can figure out the knee thing once and for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home