More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Demographics

Yesterday, I went for a walk to see old friends, like the Lyon Steps, Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, and the Golden Gate Bridge. I even ran part of the way, but found that I am not in prime running condition. It was a beautiful day, and it felt really good to be outside DURING the day, enjoying the scenery which made me move to this city in the first place.

It just got better from there, too - my friend R.K. joined me to go see my co-worker's marimba recital. I kept beginning sentences with "The last marimba recital I went to...", which provided me endless amusement. My friend asked if there would be a portion where the player went all Gallagher on us and pulled out a watermelon. In any case, it was beautiful music and it looks - well, kind of impossible to play. Very cool.

Afterwards, we hit a Mexican place for margaritas then went to the Elbo Room for video games. A guy who just got out of "jail" (we think he was just in police custody for a few hours) bought us a round of drinks for blocking our view of the video game while he was trying to read his release paperwork. I found I still have my Frogger skills, and still don't really have the hang of Pac-Man. A cute boy went to the bar to get more quarters for us, but left with his friends soon after. I'd been telling R.K. earlier that I thought my life would make a terrible sitcom, but she assured me any life could be a great sitcom if you just pulled out the best parts. I mentioned this to my quarter-fetching friend, and he asked who my viewing audience would be - I said probably intellectuals. I asked him the same, and he said people into consciousness raising and new age-y stuff - I said, "OH. You mean public access."

I like this theory, though. I'm going to start framing my sitcom moments and figuring out my target demographic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home