More Good News for Optimists

Friday, February 24, 2006

How to Glare

So I'm watching the exhibition skate, and Dick Button is going on and on about how the Italian ice dancer (Barbara Fusar-Poli) wasn't acting like a human when she glared at her partner after he dropped her, and her behavior was like nothing he'd ever seen in competitive skating before. I missed this b/c I didn't really watch much of the ice skating this Olympics, so I browsed the web and found the video on the NBC site. And I gotta say, her glare? Nowhere near as fearsome as mine. Seriously. She looked disappointed, and certainly unhappy - but the glare? Meh. Her brows were hardly knit, and she wasn't even sneering.

I met my friend J.M. for coffee after work, and we were remembering the fun we had watching the Albertville Olympics in our college dorm. (Some Olympic trivia buff I am - I had to edit this post twice b/c I couldn't remember where the Winter Olympics were held that year.) I seem to recall the commentary being even more insipid then than it is now. "If he posts a faster time than anyone else, he will win the gold medal!" But Dick Button? Has always been awful. Seriously, he's appalling. "I just don't like her line, but with those tree trunks of legs she can hardly be expected to lift them with the effortless grace we're so accustomed to seeing in other skaters." Makes Simon Cowell look like a reasonable fellow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home