More Good News for Optimists

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Can't Dress Myself

It's true, I'm becoming hopelessly indecisive about what to wear for any given occasion. Part of it's the weight - I don't look much heavier than I have for the past year or two, but there are a few extra pounds that have made some old staples in the closet unwearable.

Next weekend is my friends' wedding extravaganza - a Hindu ceremony on Saturday morning and Western ceremony on Sunday. Y'know, calling it a Western ceremony makes me think of the weddings my uncle and his son had, with cowboy hats and bolo ties. I'm reasonably certain no one attending on Sunday will be wearing either. Hey! Maybe I will, and then my wardrobe problem is solved! It seems fitting, since I'll be wearing a sari to the Hindu ceremony. Which I didn't decide to do until the last minute, when I found out MANY other people were and there were 2 saris left from R.'s mom's stash. So today, KM and I went to a sari shop in Berkeley to find the accoutrement necessary to wear the sari - namely, a top (which I knew I'd have to get), some sort of petticoat skirt (which I didn't know about - the sari's already so much freakin' fabric, who knew you needed to start with ANOTHER layer of fabric?), and jewelry (which I knew I was going to get b/c it's awesome, even if I don't technically need it.) We happened to find a top that matched the sari PERFECTLY. It was almost freaky, actually - the sari itself is a pale burnt orange with gold and silver patterns embossed on it. The top is a crushed velvet in the same shade of orange, with silver detailing. They look like they were made together.

After this adventure, I continued to shop on my own at the mall in Walnut Creek. KM had to go to Sacto to work with their officiant (another college friend of ours, which is AWESOME) so I was on my own. I ended up buying - three different options. Because I just had no idea what I really wanted to wear, or what was really flattering, or appropriate. I called KM on my way home and told her shopping without her was terribly inefficient, since I still have to show her al the options and will now have to return things, too. We're going to meet up tomorrow to finalize my wardrobe.

In preparation for this decision process, I went through my closet to see if I had any pre-existing options. And found a brown knit jersey dress and a black knit jersey dress I had completely forgotten about, but don't think I could wear without some amazing undergarment with the strength of a whalebone corset and the seamlessness of spandex bike shorts. Still, they get to be included in the runway showdown.

And THEN - yes THEN - I will also have to think about shoes.

2 Comments:

  • You get to wear a sari. You are so freaking lucky.

    By Blogger Admin, at 10:06 PM  

  • Pretty rad, huh? My mom was concerned that this might be offensive, but I said "Heck no! You can still wear cowboy boots even if you're not from Texas." And the fact that the sari belongs to the groom's mom adds some credibility here.

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home