More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Weekend Update

On Friday, I had a sleepover with J.M. and M.D. III in Palo Alto. The next morning, we went over to meet S. & S.'s new baby, who is an adorable little peanut. She was asleep, so we didn't pick her up and fuss with her - but I look forward to playing with her soon.

We were talking about a conflict of social events I have in December - one event is a party in honor of 2 of my favorite people, and the other is a party at my band's drummer's house, with all new people. It would be geographically difficult to go to both, and since the band is going to play at the 2nd party, that's where I will end up. J.M. said I SHOULD go to that one, since all of the parties my college friends have feature lots of married couples or gay men. And boy ain't that the truth.

I recently got a new journal, "The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Journal", which features illustrations and brief tips from the well-known "Worst-Case" series. I've found that sometimes these tips inspire me to create new ways to frame my own experiences. For instance, "Blizzards: If you're in a car and caught in a blizzard, do not drive. Only run the motor every ten minutes for warmth, crack open the windows for ventilation, and wait until the blizzard subsides." A clear parallel for my love life. I should only think about it sporadically, for short periods of time, just so I don't die. But mostly, I need to just hang out until the drought ends.

I liked this one, too, because it taps into my overly active flight response: "Killer Bees: If bees begin flying around you, do not freeze; do not swat them. Run away."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home