More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, November 06, 2005

They Might Be AWESOME

If you have not yet seen They Might Be Giants in concert, and you are not yet dead, then it should be on the list of things to do before you die. 2nd. Best. Concert. Ever! (Peter Gabriel's "Us" tour is still the penultimate.) I saw them at Bimbo's, which is a really cool venue, on Friday night. L. and R. and I went to Kennedy's beforehand, for a pitcher of Kingfisher beer and a curry, and some air hockey.

John and John (we're close) opened with a preview of their "Venue Songs" CD. I had heard the "Anaheim House of Blues" song before, but all the others were unfamiliar. AND IT WAS STILL GREAT!!! WHO can play songs you don't know and they're still great? They Might Be Giants, THAT'S who.

Another thing to put on your "must do" list, watch Born into Brothels on DVD. If you saw it in the theaters (I didn't), it would still be worth watching on DVD because of the extra material and follow-up with the kids. The subject matter is dark, and yet the story is uplifting. I love those kids.

3 Comments:

  • I saw TMBG at Syracuse back in the day. We were up in a balcony at the student center, and a mosh pit formed below us with kids passing each other around, which seemed to stun the band. They kept asking for them to calm down.

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:20 PM  

  • What is your favorite TMBG song? I have seen them live once but always want to go again.

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 2:53 PM  

  • My favorite? Hmm... I'm fond of their weird little salutes to the classics like "Meet James Ensor", the one about James K. Polk, and "No One Knows My Plan" featuring one of the best lines EVER "But they're like the people chained up in the cave in the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy." Because I totally relate to wanting to make an allusion to some important philosophical idea or the works of a prominent classicist, yet I can't remember exactly how it goes. OH! And "Hey Mr. DJ", because WTF is that a MARIMBA??? AWESOME!!!

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home