More Good News for Optimists

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Ice Princess

I swear, if I went into my co-workers' homes I bet I'd find a bunch of barren cardboard tubes where they hadn't bothered to put on new rolls of toilet paper. There's 2 ice buckets, plenty of ice in the freezer, and I'm guessing about 40 people on this floor. Yet EVERY DAY - I am refilling the ice buckets. Sometimes TWICE. There was a cup of tea someone had left on a filing cabinet in front of the entry way, which I noticed every day for over a week - until I finally threw it out. It. Was. MOLDY!!! Did you know tea could GET moldy? And you know how there's always a stray paper towel on the floor in the bathroom, like someone took one too many out of the dispenser and then just couldn't be bothered to bend over and pick it up? I realize these are petty little rants, but SERIOUSLY, people, am I the only one aware of my surroundings? (Uh - apparently.)

In other news, the weather took an unexpected turn for the colder today. Granted, I live in San Francisco, and there is no type of weather that should ever BE expected. In any case, I was caught feeling a bit chilly at lunchtime, so I bought a warm, apple green scarf and matching gloves. When I saw my purchase in the sunlight, I realized it looked like I had just killed and skinned a Muppet.

Which reminds me, does anyone remember a short-lived sketch comedy show on MTV called "The State"? It featured several of the cast members from the also brilliant "Reno 911". There was one skit where people were hunting Muppets, and one guy lured them to him by crying out, "Oh no, I can't remember how to tie my shoes!". Another hunter yelled, "A-B-C-... Rats! I keep forgetting what comes after C!" Muppets, being extremely helpful creatures, can not resist such earnest pleas for help.

One year I bought Muppet t-shirts for my sister and myself. Hers featured Cookie Monster - fitting, really. And mine? Obviously Oscar the Grouch. Whose pelt I am hoping to wrap around myself soon as I make my way home.

3 Comments:

  • I'm almost embarassed to admit this now, but at a previous job, co-workers used to toss their dirty Tupperware in the break room sink. One day I got tired of looking at it all, so I washed it and took it all home. End of co-workers leaving Tupperware in the sink.

    By Blogger Admin, at 5:17 PM  

  • Are you too new to suggest they hire a cleaning service?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

  • Oh, we HAVE a cleaning service. We even have people who come stock our fridge with milk, juice, and ice, and bring carafes of coffee in 7 varieties, and fill the ice buckets once a day. The stuff that bugs me isn't dirty, exactly - it's more the shit that's reflective of the "someone else will do it" attitude. And Cinnabuster, the tupperware solution is AWESOME.

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home