More Good News for Optimists

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

If you blog it, they will read...

You know how you enjoy a blog, and then you keep it bookmarked, and you feel sort of let down when nothing new has been posted for days or even weeks? Like Rabbit Blog, which sort of falls off my radar screen until I try to think of blogs I used to read regularly but they never updated.

I would hate to do that to you.

Fall has been - well, lengthy - at work. This was the first night this week I needed a cab voucher, and I am home before The Daily Show, so that's a good thing. The case has a deadline on Friday night but I have made it clear I am going to the They Might Be Giants show and They Might Have to Seek Medical Attention if they try to stop me. I have loved this band for YEARS, and actually can't believe it's taken me this long to go see them.

This morning I went back to the 6th grade classroom where I will be volunteering for the year. It was not quite as scary this time, because I worked with a small group of kids and largely ignored the chaos of the room around me. When I say chaos, and when I say scary - I mean it. This was like no classroom I'd ever been in. Kids shouting out, walking around, throwing pencils, passing notes to each other in plain sight, and totally disregarding assignments. It felt like a sitcom version of a classroom, or a scene from a movie BEFORE a renegade teacher comes in and "makes a difference". I'll be here one day a week, and I gotta tell ya - it may help, but these kids are screwed.

You know what I need? Some large evil corporation to give me a grant so I can go back to the classroom. Because it appears I've made it my mission to suck money out of large evil corporations, and I would at least like it to do someone good besides myself.

1 Comments:

  • If this were a movie, some tough teacher would walk in and start cracking heads. But if kids aren't taught to behave at home, how are they going to do it in school?

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home