More Good News for Optimists

Monday, September 12, 2005

Recital

I had my first voice recital on Sunday. It was a very mellow, homespun affair, but everyone performing still had butterflies. It had the feel of a school recital, with that nervous thrill when you see your family in the audience. Two of my adopted family members - my best friend from college and her husband - were there, and I was glad they came. It was the kind of event you wouldn't inflict on people other than family, really - but it was still really important to me to have someone there.

I've always loved to sing. When I was little, Mom would tell me to sing whenever I was in the tub. I thought it was just because she liked to hear me - I'm sure she did (being my Mom and all), but it was also a pretty clever way to leave me on my own without having to panic that I was drowning myself. Whenever I was in the car with my parents, we would sing. For some reason, they were usually willing to indulge me by singing "12 Days of Christmas" which I would request for all seasons. Dad was fond of singing "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head". I remember Mom singing "I Gave My Love a Cherry", and the rainbow song. They both have beautiful voices, too.

Even though I've never been very shy about my own singing, it took me this long (thirtymrph) years to take steps towards singing in public. A friend of mine told me about a band workshop she was taking at Blue Bear, and that they would end the class by performing at a local bar. So I took a few introductory classes, to make sure I knew something about technique, and I've now enrolled in a workshop for the fall. Coming soon to a club near you...

3 Comments:

  • That's great that you're doing something you love!

    By Blogger Lizzie, at 9:22 PM  

  • I sang "Johnny One Note" from Babes in Arms, and "Steady On" by Shawn Colvin. No cussin' in either, un or in tentional.

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 7:55 PM  

  • So how did your recital go?! How about another post?

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home