More Good News for Optimists

Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans

It seems strange that New Orleans had come up in several conversations I've had before Hurricane Katrina hit. There is something truly magical about the city - not a statement I make lightly. An article in the New York Times yesterday pointed out that several other cities devastated by disasters have risen like phoenixes (not PHOENIX, 'cuz that place is lame. No magic. Not HORRIBLE, just - not very memorable.) and I certainly hope NOLA will do the same. The people are fun-loving and charming, and I could use tons of cliched adjectives to describe the food, buildings, music, the food again - it's that good. Like my friend the Modest Goddess, I am also inspired by the immediate and generous outpouring of offers to provide shelter for the unfortunate souls who surely never pictured a loss of home on such a grand scale. My workplace is offering matching donations, which I will gladly use, but I think it's also important to keep the city itself in our thoughts, hearts, and prayers. When it begins the rebuilding process, GO VISIT. Bring your tourism dollars and your optimism that great things are still in store for New Orleans.

2 Comments:

  • I am sorry I didn't get to see the city before it was drowned. I just never wanted to get drunk on Mardi Gras with frat boys and have my boobs show up on "Girls Gone Wild."

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:19 PM  

  • Good news, Cinnabuster! I heard the French Quarter was miraculously untouched so SHOW US YOUR TITS!!! Oh, wait. You already have. Heheh.

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home