More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lesson Unlearned

I'm watching Ella Enchanted - it's Disney-corny, but still pretty cute. Book was better. Which reminds me, I stumbled across this site the other day that reviews young adult novels I remember quite fondly. The covers alone bring back lots of good memories.

Anyway, this movie is another Cindarella redux, in the plucky heroine vein. The independent girl who is more concerned with social justice and intellectual pursuits than the incredibly handsome prince, who is captivated by her spirit and while she isn't interested in him at all she eventually falls for him because besides being incredibly handsome he also turns out to be well-meaning and spirited himself.

Like many girls, I identified with the plucky heroines. But I really DID think I was the plucky heroine. I really DID think I was different, and someone would find me captivating because of my spirit.

And that may still happen. In the retirement home. Which is why the Race Ghost Part II sketch is more documentary than skit.

1 Comments:

  • What I want to know is, will they let all your cats in the retirement home?

    By Blogger Admin, at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home