More Good News for Optimists

Monday, July 10, 2006

Hey, It's Good to Be Back Home Again - Part 1

I can't remember the last time I was so happy to come home from a vacation. If nothing else, despite all the awkward moments and painful memories I created on this trip, I am comforted to feel like I really belong here in San Francisco and to call it home.

I knew I was going to San Diego back in March, when the L.C. told me he was moving there and said "Now you'll have someone to visit in San Diego," and "You'll have to come visit me there."

My plans began to crystallize when the firm gave us Monday, July 3, as an additional holiday. Considering we also had the 4th, and I would get a birthday holiday on the 5th, I could take a whole week off and it would only cost me 2 PTO days.

So I began studiously repeating to myself, "I am going to San Diego to see W.W. (Snake), and D.L., and I will also catch up with A.L. and Ms. B. - and maybe I'll meet up with the L.C. for drinks or something."

I do love all of the initialled dearly, and it has been too long since I've seen them - but I was clearly going to S.D. with a goal - to get the L.C. to finally profess his love for me, and to get some. Both seemed like distinct possibilities after a series of e-mail exchanges - "When are you coming down here?" "Do you still have my contact info?" "Call me when you get in." "Looking forward to seeing you..." K. (M.) C. was convinced that last "..." could only mean "in my bed", but the more level-headed R.C. said it was just punctuation - an ellipsis, to be precise.

I arrive Tuesday, and it's HUMID. Ech. I was wearing denim capris and felt hot. Snake, who looked great, was surprised to hear I hadn't brought any shorts but 1. I don't like wearing shorts when I feel fat, 2. it seemed a little soon to expose my alabaster thighs to the sun, and 3. I didn't really think it was going to be so HOT.

That day, we did lots of fun things - had bloody maries (marys?) at lunch, laid out on a boat listening to classic rock, and went to a neighbor's rooftop patio to watch the fireworks. Called the L.C., left voice mail.

The next day, we did more fun things. Went to the mall, tried out lots of Bath and Body Works lotions and the new lip plumpers, the L.C. called and left me voice mail to say he'd skip class Thursday night to hang out with me, got a massage, and then D.L. met up with Snake, her boyfriend J., and me at Red Pearl Kitchen for my birthday dinner.

Thursday, I spent the whole day anxiously waiting. We walked to a great sandwich place for lunch, then went to the pool. L.C. finally calls around 5 to finalize plans and we talk LIVE. I get him to come pick me up at Snake's, and my heart lifted when he came walking across the lawn and greeted me with a big hug. I introduce him to Snake, we all go inside for a minute, plan to meet up later in the evening when J. is out of work, and then the L.C. says "Let's go!" and takes me to his car.

We drive to his place, which is in a cool location - he tells me he loves hearing the waves, but is not so fond of hearing his neighbor having loud sex. I sympathize, and tell him on my neighbor's wild nights the walls and floor in my apartment actually shake.

When he moved, he gave his TV away and vowed to read more books. Which is why I have to remark on - his new TV. He laughs as he admits he had to break down and buy one after all. I tell him this makes me like him better.

We walk down the block to look out at the beach - he lives off a cove - and then go to the Mexican restaurant up the street for margaritas. But we missed the happy hour cut-off, and they're not seating on the patio, so I say we should go somewhere else first. We walk up the street to a bar with an outside deck, and start drinking beer. We talk about all sorts of things - our philosophies, our career paths past-present-future, politics - I tell him my college friends call me "Bitter Chick", he tells me he seriously considered moving to Vancouver and becoming an ex-pat after the 2004 election.

Snake and J. meet us around 8, and everyone gets along great. Which is why I love all of these people - you throw them into new social situations, and they swim. We head back to the Mexican place for dinner, and drink margaritas. I order dinner, but I don't really eat much because I'm so wound up. The L.C. asks for J.'s business card so they can talk real estate later, I'm sitting with my legs pressed up against the L.C., he has his arm around the back of my seat, Snake invites the L.C. to her friend's birthday party the next night, and he says that sounds like fun and that he will come. Then the L.C. suggests we walk down to the beach before the rest of us drive home.

It's going to get really good for a moment here.

I put my arm around his waist, he puts his arm around my shoulder, and we walk to the cove. Because Snake and J. are awesome, they say "We have to go over here for a moment," and leave us alone. Looking out over the water. I start saying something about how beautiful San Diego is, he says something like "Uh-huh,", then smiles at me, pulls me in to him, and... kisses me. FINALLY. He kisses me. And he's good. I reach up and touch his face, he runs his hands up and down my body (in a suggestive but still perfectly acceptable PDA kind of way), and whenever we break away - he's smiling at me. He tells me that I will see him tomorrow, and that he plans to bring me back with him afterwards. I swoon. Snake returns, the L.C. walks us up the hill, kisses me good-bye, and tells me he'll call me from work tomorrow to find out when and where to meet us.

I am giddy. Snake tells me she thought he was handsome, I tell her how much I like him, we get home, and I just can't sleep. I scrawl in my journal like a teenager - "Guess who just kissed me? Guess who's calling me tomorrow? I knew he liked me, I knew it!" And I think I have finally - FINALLY - caught a break.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home