More Good News for Optimists

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bellwether

I have long joked about being the reverse Alex P. Keeton in my family. My dad tend to be fiscal conservatives, but often prove to be accepting and respectful of people's personal freedoms. With occasional irrational dislike for Democratic leaders based on their personal behavior but not on their political actions. My aunt falls in a similar camp, and Grandma is a life-long contributor to the G.O.P.

But now? Heh. They can't stand Bush, and in fact can't understand how his approval rating is at 30%. Who are these 30%? What do they think he's done (A) and if (A), what do they think he's done well? How can he possibly look at the continuing conflict in Iraq and crippling rise in gas prices and say our priority should be - preventing Mexicans from getting to work?

It's a few years too late - but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to turn things around in 2008. Well, guardedly hopeful. I'd like to think good leadership can make a difference, but I'm also afraid real meaningful change and compassionate behavior come at a price many aren't willing to pay. Someone's gotta be willing to give in order to lessen the tremendous and terrifying chasm between have and have not.

And what am I doing? Um. Blogging. And plotting. Oh yes. Plotting.

1 Comments:

  • I live near DC. I have friends who... well...know stuff the general public doesn't. If the stuff Bush tells us he does makes us nervous, consider the stuff he's doing and NOT telling us. The stuff he's proud of publicly... and the stuff he hides. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

    By Blogger MargretH, at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home