More Good News for Optimists

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Art and Lit

This Sunday, my lovely British friend C.E. and I went to the Spring Open Studio at Hunters Point Shipyard. "For 22 years, Hunters Point Naval Shipyard has housed the largest artist community in the US." Pretty. Damn. Cool. It was like walking through a tremendous interactive museum, with lots of cheese and crackers and $2 buck Chuck. (They're artists - generous, but frugal.) I can now call myself a "collector", too - I bought this piece from another lovely European, Pep Ventosa, who is from Catalunya, Spain. He said one of the things he enjoys most about having art at Hunters Point is that it used to be a place dedicated to making instruments of war - delicious irony.

I've been reading a really fun book by Anthony Bourdain, A Cook's Tour. I borrowed it from a friend at work, but a terrible thing happened today. I lost it. And I wasn't finished! Oh, and I lost someone else's book. I think I'm going to send him an Amazon gift certificate online so he can't refuse to let me pay him back. I do not want bad book karma. In other book news, I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, or vice versa. I've been reading it since... February? It's entertaining, but HEAVY (no, really, it's like 7,000 pages), so it doesn't work well for commuter reading. And it has a Victorian novel feel, which I can enjoy but I rarely find engrossing. The whole "British people talking" genre sort of eludes me, in novels and film. ACTUAL British people talking are fine, though, e.g. my lovely British friend C.E.

I had to work late (9 PM) for the first time in several weeks, which was tiring but the OT will be nice to have back in the paycheck. As a bonus, the universe rewarded me with a parking spot RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY BUILDING. As Banane suggested with my last truly remarkable parking spot, I'm taking a picture of it tomorrow when it's light outside.

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA. The artists have work space and gallery space where they used to make bombs.

    By Blogger MargretH, at 5:18 PM  

  • You should also read "Kitchen Confidential." Horrifying and hilarious.

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home