More Good News for Optimists

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Newstalgia

"Hey Matt?"
"Yeah Tim?"
"Hey - you talked to Mark lately?"
"I haven't really talked to him but he looks pretty uh, down."
"He looks pretty down. Well maybe we should try to cheer him up then?"
"What do you suppose we should do?"
"Well - does he like butter tarts?"

from "Steal My Sunshine" by Len

Remember this song? It is awesome. Thank you, iTunes, for suggesting I remind myself of this. Even better? I found the spoken part in the intro refers to a Canadian pastry. For some inexplicable reason, because I myself am not Canadian nor am I particularly close to any Canadians (although I am fond of those I've met), I love it when the Canucks embrace their Canadianness. Canadianity? Canadisms? It's like vicarious nostalgia - I enjoy the comfort foods that make them happy, or the pop culture references that make them chuckle, or the maple leafs sewn on backpacks that let them know one of their own is nearby.

And who wouldn't like butter tarts? They'd probably cheer me right the fuck up.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home