More Good News for Optimists

Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Day the Lights Went Out in San Francisco

We had torrential rains and strong winds today - thunder and lightning and everything! Kinda cool. Then, while I was on the phone with J.N. after we FINALLY managed to catch each other, the lights went out around 11 AM. I had already finished my laundry, so after talking to the 'rents, I decided it was an excellent time for my nap. When I woke up - still no power. Then the lights came on - and off - and on - and off. And stayed off. I decided to venture outside, and pick up some things at the grocery store and drug store down the road. I found that all the traffic lights were out - which helped explain why I heard sirens all day. I got to the first coffee shop in the row of stores, and it was closed with all the chairs up on the tables and a hand-written sign that read "Closed due to power outage." I walked down the whole row, to find similar signs in all but 2 or 3 of the stores. Since I was already damp, and my hair had already been whipped around by the wind, I decided to walk up to TJ's to see if they had power. They did. I bought a sandwich and some other staples. Came home and set up a tray in the bedroom, since my living room was really dark - the windows don't let in much light there.

I've started boring myself. Sorry.

ANYHOO, at about 5 PM while I was on the phone with D.L. and making PB&J sandwich cookies (Did you know I'm domestic? Well, I am.) I heard cheers outside and realized the power was back. It was a moment when it was kind of fun to live in an apartment building, because you all get to share in the joy together.

1 Comments:

  • There IS a lot of camaraderie in a blackout, isn't there? Everyone was so amazed when New Yawkers didn't kill each other during the Great Blackout of August '03. Of course, if it had gone on longer than two days, I'm sure blood would have been spilled.

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home