More Good News for Optimists

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The crops are saved!

My internet connection is back! Hooray! I haven't met the anonymous and wired neighbor whose signal I'm piggy-backing, but I sure miss 'em when they're gone. I wouldn't mind chipping in if they publicized who they were, but I don't want to go around looking in case they decide sharing a signal is NOT what they had in mind. The whole "better to ask forgiveness than permission" deal.

I had a blissfully low-key New Year's Eve. More and more folks crawl out of (or into - heh) the woodwork every year to join me in my distaste for this artificial holiday. It has often succeeded in making me feel a dose of self-loathing and self-pity as I sit alone thinking everyone else in the world is enjoying the holiday while I'm not. I went out on New Year's Eve... Eve this year, and found it far more enjoyable. (See banane's blog for more deets - and some really interesting facts about the sunken ships of San Francisco.) After closing down the bars that night, I was content to stay in the next day knowing I had places I COULD go - but I just didn't wanna. KDK and I were reminiscing about all the ridiculous New Year's Eves we've spent together. Oddly enough, the one where we were both desperately ill, freezing cold, and surrounded by an odd bunch of people much older than ourselves - goes down in the books for both of us as our best N.Y.E. ever.

New Year's Day was devoted to cleaning up. Well, most of the day was actually eaten up by the insidious "I love the (insert decade)" marathon on VH1. But I did manage to put all the holiday decor away, hang a few pictures that have been leaning against walls, and mop floors. Anyday where the mop... uh, Swiffer... comes out certainly counts as a cleaning day.

On Monday, I visited with R & the other KM in E-ville. KM & I ran shopping errands and made a sojourn to the In -N-Out Burger. I usually only go there once or twice a year, so I can thoroughly enjoy it when I go. In the evening, we went to see Brokeback Mountain, which was quite good. I don't know that I'd call it the best film of the year, but still worth seeing.

Didn't make any resolutions this year - I seldom do. As usual, I'm toying with the whole diet and exercise idea. I figure therapy kinda covers the rest, as I seek out new ways of doing things, or new ways to view the things I'm already doing. It's sort of like an ongoing resolution process.

2 Comments:

  • My sole resolution so far: To not cuss in front of my 2-year-old niece. I don't need her to be walking around the house singing "Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t!" while my sister gives me dirty looks.

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:59 PM  

  • Actually, I don't find the lack of partying on NYE a negative sign of aging at all. It's not that I don't have the stamina to party - I do when it's called for - it's that I've realized I can party on my own terms and not just because I think everyone else expects me to. I've done big NYEs, and always find them a bit empty and disappointing. Giving them up is incredibly freeing.

    By Blogger Kathy Me, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home