More Good News for Optimists

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Decision Tree

Yesterday, I received an offer for a job I applied for last year. It puts me on the path to selling out, which I'd been extolling the virtues of just last week in this blog. But when the offer actually CAME, I started to panic that taking it would mean I'd never pursue my true calling. Until I realized - if I have a true calling, it will wait. I don't view careers in education as time sensitive - many people turn to education as a second or third career, and kids always need to be schooled.

My initial panic began to subside as I told a few close friends about the offer, and they urged me to take it. The way I see it, these people love me, and they know me, and they wouldn't recommend I pursue this option if they thought it would make me unhappy or crush my spirit.

Now this position will not be immediately lucrative, but I don't think it's a tremendous leap backwards, either. It's more like treading water. Which is not a terrible thing to be doing, unless you start cramping up. Which I can deal with when/if it happens. (See, there's my effort to be more optimistic - IF came after WHEN, implying that the last thought I had was positive.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home