More Good News for Optimists

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Is it too late to sell out?

I had an interview for a position in Redwood City today, with a construction management company. Very nice people, and if they were in San Francisco, I'm sure I'd be happy to work with them. Even though it's a field I never knew I had any interest in, which is probably because I DON'T. It is very, very, sad when the best reason I can think of to work in a construction company is because I am bound to meet more men.

I'm currently struggling - make that CONSTANTLY struggling - with finding a career path that neither numbs my soul or drives me into debt. I've come to accept certain facts about myself - I like living in a nice apartment in a safe neighborhood, with no roommates, cable TV, and a well-stocked pantry. I also like to be able to accept invitations to meet friends for dinner, and not stay at home eating ramen noodles or PB&J sandwiches. I think I can honestly say that my desire for creature comforts outweighs my need to have a job where I feel I am living up to my full creative and intellectual capacity.

If only I had known I'd want to sell out, I could have planned my education much differently. A HISTORY DEGREE? Puh-leeze. TEACHING CREDENTIAL? Laughable. JOB FAIRS FOR CONSULTING FIRMS AND LAW SCHOOL APPLICATIONS? Now THOSE would have been a good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home