More Good News for Optimists

Monday, July 25, 2005

Doing Lunch

A light-hearted post for Monday. I'm saving the existential crises for later in the week.

It's 11:45, which is about the time to figure out what's for lunch today. If I have been active in my kitchen, I'm happy to have left-overs. But my last real bout with cooking was some time ago, and all the reserves have vanished.

During my Weight Watchers year, I ate those freakin' Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines about everyday. Some aren't bad, but putting one in the microwave nowadays fills me with a sense of ennui and despair. 1., for the lost pounds that refound me. 2., for the dreadful monotony. 3., for the fact that I'd have to carry my sad little black plastic tray downstairs to the courtyard because eating it at my desk would surely set off a pathetic little pity party.

Even though they also involve a microwave, leftovers don't carry the same baggage. They imply that I 1. am industrious and frugal, or 2. went out to eat which implies I have friends to go out to eat with. Both of which are occasionally true.

Whether it's cold out or not, I like to check out the soup specials at Specialtys because they're DELICIOUS. I occasionally head over to the SF Soup Company, but I'm not thrilled with any of their soups that don't involve creamy bases. Which I try to avoid indulging in too often - see Weight Watchers comments.

Of course, soup is not the only delicious option at Specialtys. I'm quite enamored of the turkey & cranberry. I recently discovered the turkey meatloaf is quite tasty, too.

If I want a standard sandwich, I head to Quizno's for either a tuna or roast beef sandwich. While Quizno's has subjected us to some really awful ad campaigns, they did bring the Spong Monkeys into the limelight and for that - I thank them. If you only click on one of the links I've peppered this post with, click that one. Upon the first hearing, the creatures are annoying and gross. After it replays, about 3 times, it's cemented in your subconscious and you will giggle uncontrollably. Or maybe you're a controlled giggler.

Other frequent stops for veggie options are the deli across the street for their veggie burritos, or the Middle Eastern place on Kearny near Banana Thai for their veggie lahvosh wraps. If I have time for a longer lunch, I also love Bistro Burger. Which is across from What Up, Dog, and it will not surprise you to know I'm happy to get something there, too.

Wendy's is a good stand-by, too - although our fancy URBAN Wendy's costs more than your 'burban establishments. No $.99 value menu here, but still a cheap place to get a Caesar side salad and a baked potato.

Lin's Deli offers a huge salad bar, which I've yet to visit because I pass it over for the Chinese buffet beside it. Where I can still get veggies, even though the greasy ones are probably not the strict interpretation of the Weight Watcher guidelines.

To finish off, there's a frozen yogurt place in the alley by Bistro Burger where I can get a small yogurt for $1.60. Which is dairy, y'all, so it's gotta be good.

1 Comments:

  • Mmm ... now I'm hungry. And jealous of all your non-fast food options in your great city. Check out Cooks.com. Lots o' recipes.

    By Blogger Admin, at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home